Believing in Yourself

Within my first year of directing training, one of my most important takeaways has been believing in myself. This may sound silly or obvious, but I have felt myself and every one of my classmates struggle with self doubt, leading me to believe this is a universal challenge.

I, like many professional directors, started college as an actor. After my first year I decided to change my major to directing, despite having no experience in the field. I had many doubts and fears, but I trusted myself, and accepted the hard work that my decision required. On my first day of class, my professor Michael Goldfried asked us to write a dedication. I wrote "I feel I have the potential to not only be good, but great at this. I will learn, grow, and take pride in my work." 

If you believe you have potential to succeed, do the work required. I have never done perfectly in my directing class, but I have always striven to present my best self at that point in my career. Therefore, I have grown from every assignment I have been given. Some tips I can pass on are:

1. Make a conscious effort to stand strong. Open your chest, plant your feet, keep your hands by your sides, steady your breathing. Be wary of the "nice girl" stance. Exuding confidence in your body language will help you feel more confident.

2. Express your full self unapologetically. Don't try to hide! Having genuine passion and love for the art you are sharing will inspire others to care as well. Being afraid of yourself or reluctant will create a nervous atmosphere. If you need help finding the fun, try inserting the word "fucking" in your practice. Ex. "This is fucking crazy because...".

3. Make yourself heard. Try using sentences like "This is what I want..", "I want to see change in this way...", and "Let's make the time, because I see this as important...".

Trust yourself and your worth. Feedback is intended to help you, not hurt you. The only person who determines your success is YOU. As a fellow director and friend once told me, "You determine what you are good at."

-Ava

Comments

Popular Posts